The flagstones are made with Pollyfilla, available from DIY stores. Hywel laid a smooth base and then gently pressed a flagtsone stencil onto it. A bit tricky getting into the corners, but otherwise quick and easy to do. The painting is the long, back breaking bit, trying to get into all the grooves between flagstones! I used a mix of grey emulsion and black acrylic paint for the first base coat and wiped it all over with a damp cloth before it dried, to give it a dulled, worn look. I then used a very fine artists brush and a darker grey acrylic paint to go in the grooves and then finally, watered down what was left in my pot and brushed each flagstone with what was left in the watery pot!
The shop shelves and counter were too new looking, so I took some sandpaper too them! I roughly rounded the top corners and the straight edges and then waxed the whole lot with medium oak wood wax. After about an hour, using a fluffy artists brush, I painted on a layer of Jacobean Oak wood stain, you have to be careful here, because the stain can run off the wax. Try not to touch it otherwise the stain just rubs off on your fingers, leave them to dry overnight. Once dry, it is ok to touch, the stain will stay in place.
Now I have to make the shelves and a counter top, the ones that were supplied with them are clear acetate and will look out of place, so I am thinking of using a dark veneer to coat the acetate.
I found these on Ebay at the weekend, they were a bargain at £9 for the three and arrived in super quick time. Three woodturned and signed little pieces for my wizard's shelves, I can't wait to start shelf filling :0)